What is the carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is formed through the partial combustion of carbonaceous material. Although this gas is very structurally simple, it is also very deadly and poses a serious health risk, as people can be seriously injured by slow exposure over time, as well as short-term exposure to high levels of this gas. . Carbon monoxide is also very helpful; It is an important gas in many industrial processes, and is even deliberately generated by many chemical manufacturers.

The chemical formula for carbon monoxide is CO, which means it has one oxygen atom and one carbon atom. Any type of combustion will produce this gas at different levels, which normally dissipates into the atmosphere; Inefficient combustion can generate dangerously high levels of this gas. In a confined space, it can become very dangerous. One of the most common sources of dangerous carbon monoxide is from appliances like heaters and stoves, along with internal combustion engines like those found in cars. Proper ventilation of any type of equipment that burns carbonaceous material is extremely important.

When animals and people are exposed to carbon monoxide, the gas binds to red blood cells in the body, interfering with their ability to carry oxygen. The gas can remain in the body for an extended period of time, making it possible for people to slowly become ill from carbon monoxide poisoning. It can take several hours for the body to express the harmful carboxyhemoglobin that forms as a result of CO exposure.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is characterized by fatigue, difficulty concentrating, lethargy, and chest pain. Tissues in the patient's extremities will also begin to die as a result of the restricted flow of oxygen. If left untreated, a person can go into a coma and eventually die. The condition is diagnosed by testing blood CO levels and is treated with oxygen inhalation, often in a hyperbaric chamber; High pressure accelerates the expression of carboxyhemoglobin in the body.

In the home, it is a very good idea to regularly purchase, use, and test carbon monoxide detectors. In addition to warning you of a dangerous leak caused by faulty devices, these detectors can also indicate a smoldering fire. You should also regularly check the efficiency of your appliances and make sure your home is well ventilated so this harmful gas doesn't build up in your home. Several companies also make CO detectors for vehicles.

Go up