What is diabetic shock?

Diabetic shock is a condition that can occur due to a severe case of hypoglycemia. When a person has hypoglycemia, they have very low blood glucose levels. If glucose levels drop significantly, the person may be in danger of going into shock. This can be a very dangerous situation, as the person may partially or completely lose consciousness. Prompt medical attention should be given to anyone with symptoms of diabetic shock.

There can be several different causes of this serious type of low blood sugar. A person with diabetes can go into diabetic shock after a dose of diabetes medication. For example, shock can be induced by receiving too much insulin, which is commonly used to treat diabetes. The condition can also be caused by lack of food, excessive alcohol consumption, the onset of diarrhea or vomiting, and too much strenuous exercise. Although this condition is more common in people with diabetes, anyone can go into shock if their blood sugar levels drop too low.

In general, when an individual experiences diabetic shock, he or she will display certain symptoms. The person may develop double or blurred vision. He or she may also be affected by confusion, nervousness, and dizziness. Some people may break out in a cold sweat and begin to shake or shake. There may also be seizures, palpitations, fatigue, and difficulty speaking and concentrating.

Some additional symptoms may also be present. A person can get really pale and the skin can become clammy. The size of your pupils may also begin to change. An individual may become increasingly weak and feel like he is about to pass out. In fact, some people in diabetic shock may pass out due to extremely low blood sugar levels.

A person in diabetic shock will need immediate medical attention. If left untreated, the condition could lead to a coma or loss of life. Quick efforts will be needed to raise the person's blood glucose level. If the person is in shock, glucose may be given intravenously. This is the fastest way to get the substance into the system.

If a person is in diabetic shock but still conscious and alert, there are things that can be done to prevent the person from becoming seriously ill. You should be given some type of food product that contains sugar, such as candy or a little juice. A person with diabetes can reduce their chance of shock by monitoring their blood glucose levels at home to make sure they remain stable. Often, a person on diabetes medications who experiences shock may need to have their medications changed to prevent a recurrence.

Go up