What are the signs of an allergic reaction to fleas?

People experiencing an allergic reaction to fleas will need to know how to recognize the signs and seek treatment. Allergic reactions usually occur from contact with the anticoagulant that the flea injects into the bite, or other animals bitten by the flea in the past. Signs of a flea allergy reaction can be a more severe bite, a red rash at the site, or, in severe cases, hives and swelling. The bites are found in groups and can be a white or red bump. Prevention means treating the source of the fleas and relieving itching until the bite heals.

Most people will not see just one bite, but several in groups. Bites are usually found near where elastic bands rest on the body, such as around socks and underwear. The bite will appear as a slightly raised bump, with a white or red hue. There are several insect bites that look like a flea bite, but are actually from another insect such as bed bugs and flies.

An allergic reaction to fleas is usually not an allergy to the flea itself, but rather to chemicals in their saliva, which act as a blood thinner. Also, people with dog or cat allergies may have a reaction to a dog or cat that has been bitten by the same flea in the past. Allergic reactions will most likely show up as a larger, itchy bite.

There are other types of allergic reactions that make the sting site more severe. Another sign is a red rash in the area around the bite. Extreme allergies appear after the bite with hives and swelling.

Preventing an allergic reaction to fleas involves treating the source. Fleas rarely feed on a human as the initial host, so pets should be checked and treated by a veterinarian. There are several methods to treat pets with fleas. Extended time outdoors or exposure to other animals can also be to blame. Fleas can live a long time without feeding, so household items will need treatment once an infestation is known.

Once bites are discovered, treating a flea allergy reaction becomes a priority. The bite and the area around it should be washed with antibacterial soap and water. Cold compresses can be applied to reduce itching, as well as topical creams and oral antihistamines. Scratching will cause the wound to open and possibly infection and should be avoided. Healing usually takes about a week, but can take up to three.

Go up