What are the signs of a vitamin K overdose?

While it is extremely rare for someone to overdose on vitamin K, it is not unheard of. Children are especially susceptible to problems caused by an overdose of vitamin K. Symptoms to watch out for include nausea, vomiting, jaundice, skin rash, diarrhea, and anemia.

Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin responsible for the production of blood coagulation factor. It is produced by bacteria in the small intestine and is found in green leafy vegetables, meat, and dairy products. The type found in food is known as vitamin K. 1 or phylloquinone. vitamin k two , a group of compounds known as menaquinones, is produced in the body. The third type, vitamin K 3 or menadione, is a synthetic version and is most commonly associated with an overdose of vitamin K.

Vitamin K supplements are discouraged for pregnant women. They have been shown to cause jaundice in the newborn. Children taking vitamin K supplements should be carefully monitored for symptoms of overdose. vitamin k 3 , which is more likely to be toxic, is not recommended for children. Babies receiving unfortified formula should take supplements that contain vitamin K.

Vitamin K is available in supplements for people who don't get enough in their diet, or those with blood clotting disorders. Over-the-counter supplements contain vitamin K 1 as it is less likely to be associated with a vitamin K overdose. A vitamin K injection 1 it is routinely given to newborns in the United States. The intestines of a newborn do not contain bacteria and very little vitamin K is carried in breast milk. Vitamin K overdose in a newborn can cause hemolytic anemia, a serious disorder caused by the premature breakdown of red blood cells.

There can be other problems with vitamin K besides an overdose. Allergic reaction possible, and more likely with vitamin K 3 . People with certain diseases or conditions should consult a health care provider before taking vitamin K. Patients with liver disease can experience adverse reactions, as can people with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. People with intestinal problems, such as irritable bowel disease, may not be able to fully absorb oral vitamin K, so an injected form is preferred.

Patients taking warfarin or other anticoagulants should not take vitamin K supplements because it counteracts their effects. Those taking blood thinners should also maintain a consistent level of dietary vitamin K intake. Vitamin K is sometimes given to patients who have taken too many blood thinners. Other drugs can interact with vitamin K, so patients should consult a health care provider before taking supplements.

Go up