What are the signs of a calcium overdose?

Signs of a calcium overdose range from mild to more severe. Some of the symptoms include nausea, abdominal pain, and kidney stones. The most serious signs can be irregular heartbeat, confusion, and coma. A calcium overdose can occur when more than the limits considered safe for the mineral are taken. If an overdose occurs, medical help may be sought to begin treatment.

Calcium is a mineral used by the body to build strong bones and teeth. It is often used to treat bone conditions, such as osteoporosis, and in some cases, it is used to help treat and prevent high blood pressure. Calcium also manages the levels of other nutrients in the blood, such as magnesium and phosphorus. As a supplement, the mineral can come in many forms, including calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, and calcium phosphate. Taking too many calcium supplements in addition to dietary calcium intake can lead to calcium overdose.

There are several signs of calcium overdose. One may experience nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, and constipation or diarrhea. It can also cause dry mouth, frequent urination, and extreme sleepiness. Frequent kidney stones can also be a sign of too much calcium in the diet.

In some cases, the symptoms can be severe. A calcium overdose can cause muscle weakness, a change in your heartbeat, and confusion. Also, one can become comatose from high levels of calcium in the body. In rare and extreme cases, it can even cause death.

To prevent calcium overdose, one should not ingest more than the levels considered safe for the mineral. The recommended amount for babies between zero and six months is no more than 210 mg per day, and those seven months to one year are capped at 270 mg. Children between one year and three years should not take more than 700 mg per day. After age four, the safe level for children and adults is about 1,000 mg of calcium per day. It is generally accepted that the maximum amount of calcium that can be taken without overdose is 2,500 mg per day.

If you show the signs of a calcium overdose, medical professionals can treat you. It may be necessary to pump the stomach by inserting a tube that can remove excess calcium. A doctor will usually also treat symptoms and recommend limiting calcium intake until the overdose resolves.

Go up