What are the different personal care assistant jobs?

There are four different personal care assistant jobs: working in a private home, working for a health care services company, teaching, and working for a government agency. A personal care assistant works with clients who are recovering from surgery or who need assistance with daily personal tasks. The role of a personal care attendant is critical to older people's ability to maintain their independence and to the shortest recovery time for people leaving the hospital but still recovering.

To become a personal care attendant, you will need to complete a post-secondary training program from a community or career college. This program usually lasts between nine and 12 months. Courses focus on daily personal hygiene, how to move a patient without injury, and working with mentally impaired clients. Most programs require candidates to have at least five years of full-time working experience before being considered for admission.

Many personal care attendants work directly with clients in their own homes. Referrals can be made through voluntary agencies, support groups, health service companies, or social workers. A visiting schedule is agreed upon, along with the list of personal care attendant jobs to be performed at each visit. This service is covered by most health insurance plans, as it is considerably cheaper than a stay in a hospital or long-term care facility.

There is a wide range of personal care assistant jobs available at a health care services business. These private organizations offer a wide range of therapies and support services to clients. The patient or patient's family can arrange this service to provide a personal care attendant two days a week, a physical therapist once a week, and a massage therapist every other week. The personal care assistant works with the other members of the health services team to ensure that the client is progressing and receiving the required level of care.

Personal care assistants can become instructors at local community centers, teaching family members courses on how to help someone recovering from surgery or an older family member who has become frail. To become an instructor, many professionals complete an adult education certification program. Learning the most effective way to teach adults can go a long way when making this career transition.

Many government agencies related to social services have personal care assistant jobs. They are generally responsible for working with the social worker and other members of the health services team to meet the client's needs. Many governments have adopted a "preemptive" approach to social services, where they are willing to invest additional resources in the hope of lowering the overall costs of long-term support.

Go up