How do experts calculate life expectancy?

Life expectancy is defined as the average life expectancy between a given age and death. There are mathematical formulas that can determine individual life expectancies and the life expectancy of a larger population. In the latter case, life expectancy can be calculated from the life table of a population.

This chart is compiled through statistical analysis. The death rate, or death rate, is determined for each group in a population. The mortality rates are then used to compose a graph known as a survival curve. From this graph, life expectancy can be calculated. The life expectancy formula is taken by first calculating the probability of survival of a population each year in the life table.

Let's say a life table reflects a population of 1 million people as of 1940. If, in 1941, 100,000 of those people have died, there are 900,000 left. Therefore, the mortality rate for Year 1 is 10 percent and the probability of survival is 90 percent, or 0.90. When all these probabilities are added for each subsequent year, up to the maximum age included in the life table, the life expectancy results can be calculated. Statisticians often add half a year to the overall count, because most people live to at least half of their last birthday.

Several factors can influence the calculation of life expectancy. An ideal life table for a population would have a large representative sample and cover at least 100 years to allow for aberrant fluctuations and comprehensive results. However, most life tables represent a much shorter period of time, leading to more variable estimation measures for individual years and thus a greater margin of error. Other statistics that can skew the life expectancy of a population are infant mortality and mortality in the elderly. Mortality rates among infants before the age of 1 year and older adults over 70 years of age are higher than any other age group in populations, so these numbers may negatively affect mortality. overall life expectancy of a population if too much emphasis is placed on them.

Calculating life expectancy has several uses. Since the era of ancient Rome, human beings have tried to determine their life expectancy in some way. In modern times, the formula was developed to help insurance companies set their rates. Contemporary applications range from determining the quality of life and general health of a population to determining lifestyle differences in various subsets of a population.

Scientists have used the ability to calculate life expectancy to derive a number of important findings. For example, life expectancy tends on average to be higher among women, those of higher socioeconomic status, and Caucasians and Asians. Medical and industrial advances in many parts of the world over the past century have also significantly increased the life expectancy of populations in numerous countries. As of 2010, some estimates put global life expectancy at age 67.2 years, an increase of 20 to 30 years since the early 20th century.

Go up